Selecting the best VPNs to use is not a decision to take lightly. Use the table below to compare what the best VPN services have to offer. Then check out the below the table for our best VPN reviews (in detail).
# of IPs
# of Countries
|120,000+||105||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android||OpenVPN, L2TP, PPTP||Yes||30 days / 100%||$11.52/m||Credit Card, PayPal, WebMoney, BitCoin, Wire Transfer|
|Not Provided||Not Provided||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android||OpenVPN||Yes||Unlimted Free Trial||$29.99/yr||Credit Card, PayPal, CashU, GooglePlay, iTunes|
|Not Provided||Not Provided||Windows, Mac, iOS||OpenVPN, SSL||Yes||No||$49.99/yr||Credit Card|
|Not Provided||18||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux/UNIX||PPTP, IPSEC/L2TP, OpenVPN||Yes||No||$6.95/m||Credit Card, PayPal, Google Wallet, Amazon, Bitcoin, ripple, cashU, OKPay|
|80,000+||141||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, Blackberry||PPTP, IPSEC/L2TP, OpenVPN, SSTP||Yes||3 days / 100%||$9.95||Credit Card, PayPal, MoneyBookers, AlertPay, WebMoney, Bitcoin|
|11,000+||22||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux||PPTP, SSTP, L2TP, OpenVPN||limited||7 days / 100%||$21/3 months||Credit Card, PayPal, Google Checkout, Checks, Money Orders|
|200,000+||50||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux||PPTP, L2TP/IPSEC, OpenVPN, Chameleon||Yes||3 days Free Trial||$9.99/m||Credit Card, PayPal, Bitcoin|
|Not Provided||100||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux||PPTP, SSTP, L2TP/IPSEC, OpenVPN||Yes||30 days / 100%||$12.95/m||Credit Card, PayPal|
|40,000||400||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android||PPTP, L2TP/IPsec, OpenVPN||Yes||7 days / 100%||$10.00/m||Credit Card, PayPal, Worldpay, Bitcoin|
|TunnelBear||Not Provided||8||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux||L2TP/IPSec, OpenVPN||No||Unlimited Free Trial||$4.99/m||Credit Card, PayPal, Bitcoin|
|200+||43||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux||PPTP, L2TP/IPsec, OpenVPN, SSTP, and IKEv2||Yes||No Free Trial||$9.99/m||Credit Card, PayPal, Bitcoin|
HideMyAss enables you to change your IP address to access restricted websites. This VPN service provider is based in UK and offers services to over 53 countries, which means that they provide over 120,000 different IP addresses. This shows that it’s definitely a market leader in terms of providing a large VPN network. You can check out my full review here, but the following are the highlights:
The reason this network has gained popularity among the masses is because of the following features:
- No bandwidth restrictions, which means it functions at high speed. Average uploading speed is 1.5 Mbps and average downloading speed is 20 Mbps through US servers.
- It has three simple cost plans. $11.52 per month, $49.99 for six months and $78.66 per year. HideMyAss also offers holiday season packages from time to time with discounted rates. So, look for them!
- It offers multiple security protocols including L2TP, OpenVPS and PPTP, without any additional charges.
- It uses 128 bit encryption.
- HideMyAss also has a free web proxy service, which will enable you to experience the quality of its services without any charges.
- It has a user friendly interface, customized software and an excellent customer support service.
- It works on all available platforms including Apple, Linux, iOS, Windows, and Android.
- You can switch your desired protocols with respect to your area’s censorship policies and HideMyAss won’t cost you any extra charges.
- It supports all browsers including Google Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
- The connection time and server speed is regularly updated in real time even if you are using HTTPS websites.
- It provides free anonymous e-mail address to keep your account safe from untrustworthy people.
- Majority of the servers are located in the United States.
- It has dynamic IPs which makes it hard for PayPal and Credit Card users to use this VPN service.
- It uses 128 bit encryption whereas majority of the competitors are using 256 bit encryption.
- It keeps a record of all your used IPs, e-mail addresses, your country and user name.
HideMyAss has proven to be tough competition for VPN service providers because of its reasonable prices and exceptional services.
HotSpot Shield Review
Hotspot Shield is a creation of AnchorFree. Since its establishment Hotspot Shield has been downloaded more than 75 million times; this proves that it is one of the most popular VPN networks available on the net. However you don’t have to take our word for it, read ahead what this VPN service offers to generate your own conclusion.
Following are some of the features that make Hotspot Shield a popular choice among users.
- Compatible OS platforms include Windows XP and forward, Mac, Android 2.x and 4.x and iOS.
- Hotspot Shield uses HTTPS and 128 bit SSL encryption.
- It offers unlimited bandwidth.
- Hotspot Shield offers two packages. First is free and can be downloaded easily from the web. The other package is called the ‘Hotspot Shield Elite’ package and costs $4.99 per month. This Elite subscription can be applied to all linked services.
- It uses OpenVPN protocol.
- With one Hotspot Shield license you can connect with up to 5 devices.
- Hides your IP address, especially when you are browsing through public Wi-Fi hotspots.
- Hotspot Shield VPN identifies the websites that have malware and blocks them. It has the capacity to block approximately 3.5 million corrupted sites.
- It compresses online content that passes through the VPN servers so that you can get twice the amount of content at the same price.
- You can keep a record of the data of each browsing session.
- 24/7 customer service is available through live chat, Facebook, Google+ and Twitter.
- Easy installation.
- Secures your online activities.
- Hotspot Shield servers are located in the U.S. but the company has not disclosed the amount of servers or IP addresses, which shows that they understand the value of privacy.
- Automatic network detection.
- Slow browsing.
- Free version shows a lot of adverts.
- It supports maximum 5 GB every month.
The best part about this VPN service is its free availability. Therefore, this gives you a chance to check out the full range of services and be sure of what you are paying for.
Norton HotSpot Privacy
Symantec is a recognized name in the online world and Norton Hotspot Privacy is released under that banner. This network guarantees protection against unsecured internet hotspots and enables you to enjoy your online freedom.
Here are the features of this VPN service:
- It is available for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android platforms.
- Norton Hotspot Privacy costs $49.99 per annum and the license is valid for 1 year.
- It uses 128 bit encrypted tunnel.
- It uses OpenVPN protocol with SSL encryption for desktop computers and IPSec encryption for mobiles and other gadgets.
- It acts as a default gateway that forwards all communication towards the web.
- It offers a ‘one-day’ pass for $2.99.
- Norton Hotspot Privacy can be used on five devices simultaneously.
- Majority of the servers are located in U.S. and UK, and users are given the option to connect to their desired server.
- It has no bandwidth or download limit.
- It has spam and parental filter.
- Easy installation and interactive software. All you have to do is sign into the web portal, download the software and the VPN network will automatically configure the private connection.
- The software encrypts users’ Wi-Fi connection, passwords, usernames etc.
- Hides you activity when browsing through public Wi-Fi networks.
- It automatically filters web content.
- Norton Hotspot Privacy can assign you non-local IPs, which is beneficial when you are using it through a geographical location that does not allow access to specific websites.
- Norton Hotspot Privacy does not offer any free version.
- Restricted mobile support.
- It does not protect the computer against malware, which means that your PC is always at risk against viruses and hackers.
- It requires firewall adjustments after installation.
- You cannot view the IP address assigned to you.
Being associated with a brand name guarantees high quality services; however, this VPN service still gives you the option of trying out its available features firsthand before you subscribe to a one year package. Therefore, we advise you to check out the free version and then make your decision accordingly.
Private Internet Access
Private Internet Access is a US based VPN service provider that offers extensive internet freedom from hackers, cyber vigilantes and internet snoopers. See the full analysis here or check out the highlights below:
This VPN service provider can be distinguished on the basis of the following features:
- It can grant access to 3000+ servers in 18 countries with more than 199 gateways. 8 servers are located in the US while the remaining are in Europe, Canada and UK.
- Private Internet Access comes with a Sock5 proxy, which is extremely beneficial in using BitTorrent anonymously, without VPN. If used in combination with VPN, it can provide double security.
- It uses 128 bit encryption, which sometimes enhances to 1024 bit depending on the server and software used.
- Supporting protocols include OpenVPN, L2TP and PPTP.
- Private Internet Access’ monthly package plan costs $6.45. If you sign up for the 6 months package plan then you’ll have to pay $5.99 per month. The best of all is the yearly package that costs $3.25 per month.
- The average downloading offered by this VPN service is 74.33 Mbps and the average uploading speed is 74.33 Mbps via 100 Mbps connection.
- Multiple payment options.
- Supports versatile platforms.
- Turns on and connects with a single click.
- Customer service support is available in the form of ticketed e-mails and live chat.
- It offers DNS leak protection, shielding the information from the internet service providers.
- If your VPN connection goes down, the internet connection will automatically disconnect saving it from compromising your personal security.
- You can connect to 5 devices at the same time through Private Internet Access.
- It offers several payment options including credit cards, PayPal, and cashU.
- Private Interne Access offers no trial version to gauge the performance of the software.
- It does not have an iOS app.
- You cannot select specific servers.
This VPN service has it all: advance internet security, low prices and high speed. Even with a few cons, you shouldn’t hesitate to avail this service if it fits your requirements because it’s one of the best ones available!
PureVPN is a Hong Kong based VPN service provider that was established in 2006 by GZ systems limited. Since its establishment it has gained the reputation of a high quality service provider. All the features that make PureVPN a high quality service provider are covered in this overview (see full review, if you want more details).
The following features will help you decide whether it’s the ideal VPN service for you or not.
- It uses 256 bit encryption and supports L2TP/IP sec, SSTP, IKEv2 and PPTP protocols.
- Supporting platforms include Windows XP, Vista, 7, all Mac OS X versions, Linux and all Android, iPad and iPhone devices.
- It has two basic pricing plans: standard and unlimited.
- Standard plan costs $9.95 per month and offers the following features: unlimited speed, download speed of 30 GB, access to server of 141 countries including Panama, Turkey, Australia, Romania, Singapore, Canada, U.K. and USA, and boundless server switches.
- Unlimited plan costs $18 per month. This plan offers a new IP on starting a new session and you can use any VPN protocol you want. Plus, it allows unlimited downloads.
- It has 500 approximately 300 servers in 141 countries and it allow you to switch servers to ensure enhanced protection and security.
- It offers 24/7 customer service support, 365 days a year with live chat.
- Internet speed is good for streaming and downloading.
- It is functional at network level, which means all applications are accessible including instant messaging, VOIP packets and FTP programs.
- PureVPN does not keep a record of user sessions and secures personal details.
- If you are using public Wi-Fis then PureVPN enhanced security network will protect your computer from snoopers and hackers.
- Limited bandwidth options.
- Cost is comparatively high as compared to other VPN service providers.
- It offers a trial account for three days at the cost of $2.5, which is strange given that you are just trying the services.
- Manual setup of the software can be a bit tricky and usually generates errors associated with firewall and DNS server.
In conclusion, the interface, privacy and security features of PureVPN are outstanding and absolutely worth the money.
StrongVPN is a high profile VPN service provider that started as a small computer selling company in South Lake Tahoe and soon expanded into the internet and Colocation service providers. Over the years StrongVPN has gained the reputation of ‘aggressive protector against file sharers,’ which has raised some doubts among users but the overall service package with several enhanced features might change your views. For a full in depth review, see here.
Take a look at the following features before you jump to any conclusions:
- Dynamic PPTP and static OpenVPN IP addresses.
- Supported platforms include iOS, Android, Linux, Windows and Mac.
- StongVPN is ideal for personal use and small business enterprises.
- It supports the following protocols: PPTP, IPSec, OpenVPL, SSTP, L2TP and SSL.
- Standard PPTP package comprises of 450+ servers and is only available to US based users at $7.95 (per month).
- Deluxe PPTP package comprises of 116 machines and can be used across 22 countries at $15 (per month).
- It uses 128 bit encryption in AES and SSL encryption formats.
- 24/7 technical support available that can be accessed through Skype, voicemail and e-mail.
- Interactive interface with state of the art graphics and image slider.
- The customer service includes TeamViewer remote setup. It basically allows the StrongVPN staff member to access your computer and install VPN. This feature is extremely rare and is not available with other VPN service providers.
- It gives excellent internet speed with an average data transfer speed of 23 Mbps.
- It allows you to unblock several websites like Hulu, iPlayer, and Netflix, and the ones that don’t open due to geo-blocking issues.
- It has a very complex pricing structure that will make you think at least thrice about which package to choose!
- The cheapest StrongVPN package supports only PPTP protocol, which is considered quite insecure these days.
- StrongVPN’s Open VPN services are pretty expensive. The cheapest one is available for $20 per month.
- It does not allow you to select your personal encryption level.
If you ignore the pricing issues, then you will find StrongVPN’s service quite satisfactory. However, when it comes to internet security one cannot ignore the affiliated cost as it has a great impact on the features. Therefore if you decide to purchase StrongVPN’s package, choose wisely.
Are you concerned about your internet security? Then using Virtual Private Networks or VPN services is the best and the most effective way to secure data. There are several VPN providers available online and VypyrVPN, a creation of the Golden Frog Company (Austin), is one of the leading ones in this sector. For the full review, see this article.
These features will shed light on the important aspects of the software.
- VypyrVPN supports PPTP, OpenVPN and L2TP/IPsec. Open VPN supports 128 and 256 bit encryption ciphers and both utilize UDP.
- Supported platforms include (Pro version): Ubuntu Linux, Windows Vista, XP, and 7, Android, iPad, iTouch, iPhone, DD-WRT Firmware devices and all versions of MacOS.
- It has two versions: Standard and Pro and both utilize 128 bit encryption.
- Standard version is available at $9.99 per month and can be accessed by Windows and Mac OS only.
- On the contrary, Pro version offers enhanced features including 2 simultaneous connections, Open/VPN SSL, 256 bit encryption, extra 15 GB of Dump Truck Storage and VypyrVPN apps for iOS and Android mobiles. It is available at $14.99 per month.
- VypyrVPN has its own exclusive optimized code that can be utilized by modern broadband connections.
- This respective VPN network extends all over the world including Europe, North America and Asia.
- Over 700 VPN servers are shared across three continents; therefore, it allows freedom from speed and bandwidth restrictions.
- Filters IP address to prevent intrusion from remote servers.
- Golden Frog has its own network of servers which ensures privacy like no other. Moreover, it saves the company from depending on third parties for hosting server clusters.
- Free 3 day trial period.
- Allows variable encryption.
- Support system is available 24/7.
- It comes with three different cost packages, which allows you to select the one that is in accordance with your priorities.
- A reliable connection.
- L2TP//IPsec encryption is not meticulous.
- The documentation of the software requires regular updating.
- Cost is comparatively higher than other VPN service providers.
- Requires manual installation
- Broadband consumption slows down the internet speed.
In conclusion, every good thing comes with a price and VypyrVPN has justified its high prices with its exceptional quality of service. It can safeguard your data and devices from viruses, malicious threats and especially hackers; thus, giving you freedom of browsing.
Express VPN is a US based company that in addition to granting internet freedom also provides high downloading speed. If you are interested in knowing more about this VPN service provider then read ahead! For the full review, see here.
Express VPN has the following features:
- It supports the following internet protocols: OpenVPN, IPSec, L2TP.
- Express VPN’s IP types include shared IP, dedicated IP, and shared IP dynamic and static.
- It uses 128 and 256 bit encryption methods which is very effective is securing data from cyber criminals, especially when browsing through public networks.
- It secures data from Internet Service Providers i.e. all that is visible to ISPs is encrypted traffic.
- Express VPN has a total of 100+ servers located all over the world. Main countries include Egypt, Russia, Brazil, US, Netherlands, Finland, UK, Canada, Italy and France.
- It has 3 package plans. Monthly package plan costs $12.95, 6 month package plan costs $9.99 per month and annual package costs $8.32 per month.
- 24/7 customer support is available through live chat, twitter, Skype, phone, e-mail, remote desktop, and support ticket.
- It works on all smart phones and Windows, Ubuntu and MAC.
- It provides unlimited bandwidth.
- You are allowed to choose any of the 5 VPN servers located across the world.
- It can access Skype and stream videos on YouTube.
- There are no location restrictions which mean that you can access series on Netflix, BBC iPlayer and Hulu no matter in which part of the world you are residing.
- It has 30 days money back guarantee.
- Express VPN is a US based company, which means that there is threat that the US government can seize data.
- Comparatively expensive than other VPN service providers.
- Switching servers and controlling IP addresses is somewhat difficult.
- Non-automatic start up.
- Express VPN records users’ IP addresses, e-mail ids and username.
- No free trail option.
- Payment transactions can be made through credit cards and PayPal only, which is one of the major cons.
If you ignore the cost factor then Express VPN can be rated as a good internet security provider.
TunnelBear is a more recent entry into the VPN market. It’s targeted primarily at entry-level users, not necessarily the experienced VPN user. For my full review, be sure to check out this recent article.
- Easy to use for beginners (walks you through everything you need to know)
- Offers a free starter package service which is unlimited (you can use forever, if you want)
- The higher “Giant” package is still reasonably priced at just $6.99/month
- Free package offers 500MB of free data every month (more if you participate in their Twitter promotions)
- Canadian based which is generally beneficial for privacy
- Excellent support staff, also very responsive on social channels (Twitter/Facebook)
- Funny, quirky marketing
- Stores some personal data (First Name/email/credit card data)
- Not the fastest service, although fine for most streaming activities (certainly not the worst either)
- No P2P sharing allowed
- Only two protocols (UDP and TCP)
- No advanced technical customization options (again, TunnelBear is targeted for casual users)
Overall, this is a really nice service for those looking to stream movies and other casual activities. It’s not a robust option for VPN geeks, however.
IPVanish is one of the more rapidly growing VPN providers currently available. They’ve built up an impressive list of servers globally, enough to compete with the big boys like HMA, PureVPN, and StrongVPN. You can see my recent review of it here.
- Offers all the common protocols, including OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, and PPTP
- Over 400 servers across 60+ countries
- A total of at least 40,000 IP addresses
- Definitely a “top tier” VPN service in the industry
- Works with all major operating systems (Windows, iOS, Android)
- Relatively fast, despite the encryption
- Free NAT firewall protection included
- Lots of payment options, including Bitcoin, PayPal, Worldpay, and major Credit Cards (and some “minor ones”)
- Not as user friendly as some, could use better start-up guides and tutorials
- Not the cheapest option – starting at $10.00/month (not the most expensive either)
Overall, IPVanish is quickly becoming an up and coming service to watch. I’d definitely put it in my top 5 overall.
TorGuard has a number of unique offerings and has something for almost everyone without their packages. I’ve done a full review already, but here’s the high level summary.
- Many protocols available, including OpenVPN, L2TP/IPsec, PPTP, SSTP, and IKEv2
- Strict “zero logging” policy
- One of the best options for Torrenting and P2P activity, built for moderate to advanced users
- 7 day refund policy
- Anonymous email service offered (10 MB)
- BitTorrent proxy service offered as a stand alone package for only $4.99
- Over 1250 servers located in over 40 countries
- Compatible with Windows, Mac X, Linux, Android and iOS
- Lots of payment options, including PayPal, Credit Cards, Bitcoin, Alipay, Altcoins, Cash U, Union Pay, Gift Cards, and many others…
- No free trial offered
- Difficult site navigation and user interface
- Not necessarily the best option for beginners
- Not as many servers or IP addresses compared to other top tier providers
- Still collects person information for purchasing
- US based company, subject to US surveillance laws
TorGuard is an interesting option, especially if you are doing heavy torrenting and P2P activities. That’s the niche they’ve been able to carve out. It’s still not quite at the same level as the big players in the market, as it lags behind a bit in terms of servers and IP addresses. It’s definitely a service to watch.